Restoration of 1841 Ecclesiastical Tower, involving new lead roofing and lime repointing.
The Church of St Lawrence, Longridge Preston dates back to the 16th century. The Tower features a flat lead roof, last installed in the 1980’s. The existing leadwork had started to fail, causing water ingress and related damage. This was identified by the Conservation Architect in the Quinquennial inspection.
We were primarily tasked to re-lead the tower roof in accordance with Lead Sheet Training Academy (Formerly the LSA) guidelines. Our full works package agreed with the client included:
- Leadwork to bays
- Pennyboard timberwork to falls
- New internal roof access and ladder
- Replacement flagpole
- New cast iron downpipe and lead gutter
- Replacement of an oak lintel
- Raking out and lime repointing of the high level stonework to the front façade
- Pinning of castellation stones
- Replacement of glazed units
- Scaffold access to front and rear
The project was undertaken during COVID-19 restrictions. This adversely impacted the availability of specialist materials, though did not affect the final completion – in time for Easter Mass & subsequent weddings.
Our client complimented the quality of work and the dedication our team displayed. The project called for a high level of skill across a number of traditional disciplines, which we are proud to have completed in-house.