We addressed several areas of the property to prevent internal water damage, which included:
- Chimney rebuild
- Lead gutter replacement
- Small roof areas
- Patch lime repointing
This Manchester client took a great interest in the project and we welcomed their engagement; we were able to show and discuss uncovered issues from the top of the scaffolding.
The chimney was leaking, causing water damage to the bedroom beneath. The stack had previously been reduced in height by others, and required an overhaul to address many of the issues that also appeared to have been carried out at that time.
The leadwork had not been installed to standard, requiring us to strip the surrounding slates in order to apply new lead flashings, soakers and aprons. The purpose fit and welded lead was installed by our skilled craftsmen to meet LSA Standards.
Original mortar joints were pointed with cement, which had failed. During the rebuild we repointed with a lime mortar which has many benefits over cement (this case study has a deeper dive into lime vs cement).
The cement had caused brickwork to crumble, many of the bricks should not have been left when the chimney had previously been reduced in height. The client advised the specification of the new brickwork to meet their requirements.
The flaunching (capping) had cracked, allowing water to ingress. Being of cement basis, this is a common issue that we find in exposed areas such as these. We reflaunched with a lime based mix and added a cowl to the exposed chimney pot.
Along the front elevation we found that the lead lined gutter had minimal laps upon unwelded joints. The water had been penetrating into the joint and staining the wall beneath. We stripped the first few courses of slate in order to access stripping and replacing the old lead with new.
We installed expansion joints between bays that were welded to the new Code 5 leadwork. The slates were refixed once the new lead was seated in place beneath. A new spigot was also welded into position.
During the Chimney works we were asked to repair a small section of slate roofing to the rear, as we found that the pitched roof had been incorrectly slated. Therefore we stripped and reroofed the angles of the small roof area along with repairs to a low level roof.
The water ingress caused by the front lead gutter had affected the internal front first floor wall. We therefore patch lime repointed a small section. The pointing had been in cement causing the moisture to become trapped. By lime repointing the damp area, we have allowed the moisture to evaporate to aid the drying out process without further damage to brickwork.